Vegan avocado pesto pasta is a filling twist on classic pesto. Made in less than 15 minutes, this quick recipe is packed with flavor and healthy ingredients.
Avocado pesto pasta is creamy, flavorful, and packed with nutrients from spinach and avocado. It’s made just like regular pesto, but with the addition of avocado (and minus the cheese!).
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases; read my disclaimer policy for more information.
AVOCADOS ARE PACKED WITH NUTRIENTS
- They’re loaded with fiber, which is important for a healthy gut
- Over 20 (!!) vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin K and potassium
- Healthy fats found in avocados (omega-3s, omega 6-s) help the body absorb fat-soluble nutrients like Vitamin K and Vitamin A
THE OTHER SECRET TO THIS SUPER GREEN PESTO?
Adding frozen thawed spinach is an easy way to “bulk up” your pesto. Spinach blends in beautifully with pesto and it’s a powerhouse of nutrients. It’s also an inexpensive way to stretch the amount of pesto you have without sacrificing texture or flavor.
HOW DO YOU MAKE VEGAN PESTO?
The main difference between regular pesto and vegan pesto is that vegan pesto has no cheese. This pesto still has all of the basic ingredients like basil, fresh garlic, nuts (we’ll use cashews instead of the traditional pine nuts), and a bit of olive oil.
Making the pesto just requires a blender or food processor.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender: avocado, olive oils, cashews, fresh lemon juice, thawed spinach, and fresh basil (plus salt and pepper!)
- Blend until smooth.
- Add to cooked pasta of choice. Serve warm or chilled.
Amp up your vegan pesto by topping with white beans and sliced cherry tomatoes.